Friday, August 14, 2009

August 14, 2009




I was hungry and you formed a humanities club

to discuss my hunger.
Thank you.
I was imprisoned and you crept off quietly
to your chapel to pray for my release.
Nice.
I was naked and in your mind you debated the
morality of my appearance.
What good did that do?
I was sick and you knelt and thanked God for
your health.
But I needed you.
I was homeless and you preached to me of the
shelter of the love of God.
I wish you'd taken me home.
I was lonely and you left me alone to pray for me.
Why didn't you stay?
You seem so holy, so close to God; but I'm still
very hungry, lonely, cold, and still in pain.
Does it matter?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it does matter. This is a powerful poem with an in the trenches look at our culture. It is honest, blunt, exposed and raw. I like that...a lot.

    Thank you.
    Robin Easton
    www.nakedineden.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice!!! and so true sometimes--believing in higher being is great but if you don't take action and do the right humanitarian thing then "Does it matter?" really???

    ReplyDelete